A new model for flexibility and work life security must be designed to simultaneously meet employers’ needs for flexibility and adaptability, and individuals’ needs for security.
The model should contribute to:
- improvements in the supply of skills to businesses and their ability to readjust,
- employees feeling secure in their working lives because finding new jobs is easy,
- improvements in the conditions for job creations,
- greater mobility on a more inclusive labour market, and
- excellent opportunities for individuals to maintain their skill sets and employability at high levels.
The elements of this model are based on the rules governing employment and the public unemployment insurance, the role of the Swedish Public Employment Service, the Swedish employment transitions funds and opportunities for skills development.